William Smith Art Therapy Fundraiser

Monday, November 8, 2010

"My Life" Photo Art Therapy Project Sneak Peek


This is one of my favorite photos from the boys photo art therapy project

I have embarked on my first photo art therapy project with a group of ten boys ages 12-18 who are living in a transitional boys home who have titled the project "My Life." My original thought was that I wanted to give these boys a voice and a way to share their stories with others. I came to Cape Town with a slew of disposable cameras for this very reason and have since put them to great use, giving the boys each one camera with 27 shots and these simple instructions:

Document your life with your camera. Use it as a tool to share your identity and tell your personal story.

I have collaborated with two amazing and inspiring men/artists/entrepreneurs from Zimbabwe who head up an incredible non-profit called Jullard Creations. In their words Jullard Creations "is a collective that empowers people from marginalized communities to generate their own income by producing hand made art & craft using traditional African techniques! This is a youth programme designed specifically to equip and enhance our youth in skills development. We run Creative Entrepreneurial trainings, creative art and craft workshops and product development."

Twice a week we have been meeting and the boys have been taking art classes from Juma and Willard, learning new techniques, working on specific projects as well as making art with me to use and combine with their photographs. This week we are finishing up the final touches on their photographic-art collages and creations and getting them ready to be hung and displayed.

I am thrilled to be apart of the ONE ART, ONE CHILD show and street party fundraiser for youth creativity workshops this coming Saturday at the Word of Art Gallery/Woodstock Industrial. The "My Life" photo art-therapy project will be on display and a variety of the boys photograph collages will be for sale to generate money for the Percy Bartley House where they live. If you're in Cape Town please come out and show your support. There will be plenty of art, live music, food and drink. Here's the link for the invite: http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1581206260907#!/event.php?eid=129605737092602
The boys and I hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. Sascha, what a brilliant idea bringing the cameras. This could be a picture book in the making! Stay well and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is fantastic Sascha! What an incredible opportunity! Best of luck with everything and keep us posted!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still in Cape Town?? I only found your blog now!! It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete