William Smith Art Therapy Fundraiser

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Weeks 2-5: Catching up.


My intention was to do a weekly blog, and while I'd still like to I don't know how realistic that is, primarily because internet access is limited. I'm thinking bi-weekly will probably work best. That being said, it's going on 5 weeks and I've yet to post these last 2 entries.

The main reason I haven't posted yet is because it was school holidays for a couple weeks and my work hadn't really started yet. This week is my first "official" week of doing art therapy in Nyanga township and at the Red Cross Children's Hospital. In the interest of time and space, I've simply compiled a list of some of the highlights from the last few weeks in and around Cape Town (in no particular order) which primarily consist of sight-seeing and family gatherings. I'm sure I will have much to report on once my art therapy work really gets going. . . but in the meantime:


I made my first ostrich curry.


Went to a funky weekend flea market and got a huge bag of stamps from around the world to use in my art therapy practice and to make some more postcards (thanks Auntie).


Adventures in food, or the Meat-fest if you will. . . meaning I experienced my first and second braais (South African BBQ) with family both new and old. Giant prawns of varying types and colors, lamb, chicken skewers, boerewors (a delicious long coiled sausage), a whole chicken, ostrich, and calf's kidneys.


Planted a slew of native trees with students at their school in the Nyanga township for an amazing project done through GreenPop: http://greenpop.org/ I plan to plant more trees with GreenPop soon.


Wine tasting for Uncle Ken's birthday in the breathtaking wine region of Stellenbosch. Wine and chocolate pairing=deliciousness.


A weekend with the cousin, Stellenbosch Botanical Gardens, scenic strolls past incredible colonial houses and an uber-cute downtown.


First taste of Amarula: South African liqueur, Amarula Cream is made from the exotic Marula fruit.


Beach walks and lots of dog walks through wildflowers across the street from home.


Stumbled upon an outdoor pool at the Oude Mullen Eco Village close to home that I fully intend to take advantage of this summer. First swim at the scenic Sea Point outdoor pool overlooking the ocean.


Fish and chips and beer with Maggie on the water of Caulk Bay. Waves crashing up and through the windows and into the restaurant (part of the charm).


Western Cape Wildlife Park visit with Granny Berg and Aunt Kris: wildflower drive and wildlife viewing which included: flamingos, ostrich, 9 tortoise (1 which was dead which we attempted to bring home for the shell. Bad idea, 2 words: stench and maggots), bock (South African antelope), kudu, zebra, buffalo, and a variety of other bird species whose names I can't recall.


Art, Art, Art: art openings, art shows, art auctions, art gallery (the South African National Art Gallery) and an art therapy workshop (last week was THE week of ART)!


A stunning drive up the Eastern Cape Coast which included Ruby's beach penguins, hundreds of them, oceanside picnic, right back whales, zebra and dassies (a funny little rodent that looks like a cross between a rat, guinnea pig, rabbit, and tasmanian devil).


Planted garden containers with my women's group. Tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, and beets. Worked in the main garden with the children in my Wednesday art therapy group, harvested veggies from the garden and together, the women, children, Zanelle (the counselor and translator I'm working with) and we made a huge pot fresh veggie/bean/samp (dried corn kernels that have been stamped and chopped until broken) soup which fed 20 of us.

Spent a day cleaning up and clearing the front yard with Uncle Ken which made way for the veggie garden I planted. Only problem is that now that it's warming up and the sun is so strong, my poor little basil are wilting in the heat.

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure, Sascha! I look forward to all your updates and pics. Be safe! xoxo Molly

    ReplyDelete